Transport Working Group
In addition to dealing with road management issues the Roads & Transport Directorate was established to investigate transport issues affecting Local Government and to provide assistance to meet members’ needs.
The Transport Working Group was formed to meet the following objectives:
- To identify local government transport issues, develop position papers, and provide advice to the Roads & Transport Directorate as required
- To develop information packages to assist transport practitioners across the state
- To provide technical and research assistance to LGNSW in lobbying for increased transport funding and resources; and
- To identify gaps in planning for transport at the local network level and contribute to the development of transport plans linking local and regional roads to the State planning network.
The present members of the Working Group are:
- Bill Woodcock - IPWEA (NSW)/Complete Urban
- Mike Dowd - Wollongong City Council
- Chris Devitt - Dubbo Regional Council
- Scott Turner - Lismore City Council
- Tekohi Rivera - Lachlan Shire Council
- Rolly Lawford - Warren Shire Council
- Cathy Kinsey - Campbelltown Council
- Arjan Rensen - Roads & Transport Directorate
- Mick Savage - Roads & Transport Directorate
- Jennifer Yap - Roads & Transport Directorate
The group has identified a number of transport issues and two of these have been selected for further development.
The first issue for consideration is the need for the development of a co-ordinated planning framework for transport in the Metropolitan Area. Transport is not dealt with adequately in the State Government’s Metro Strategy and any future planning for transport must meet the needs of Local Government. The second issue raised is the management of parking across the Metropolitan Area.
Meetings of the Transport Working Group are scheduled biannually and held at the Institute's office in Kent Street, Sydney.
Contact with the Working Group can be made by email to: mick.savage@ipweanswg